
Do you even know what one is? Or how to say it? (try POONCH-key) Unless you're from Michigan or Poland, I'm won't be surprised if you don't.
Paczkis originated in Poland, where Catholics made the doughnuts with the lard, eggs and fruit that they were trying to clear out of their cupboards before the start of Lent.
There's a fairly significant Polish population in Detroit and there was gridlock today in the Polish section of the city, as paczki fans were clamoring for their fill before the Wednesday fast (although will all today's paczki eaters really be fasting tomorrow?)
Now I'm all for a little Fat Tuesday indulging, but this just isn't my style - a gigantic slab of deepfried dough filled with jelly? Oh, and nearly 500 calories and 25 grams of fat.
Give me a slab of chocolate any day over that. Or at least a chocolate-filled paczki.
Ironically, I'm abstaining from chocolate for Lent, but am so not in the mood for it right now, just as my window of opportunity is narrowing. If only this would last for the next six weeks.
Hi there. My siblings and I had a delightful visit with your parents in Savannah, Georgia as we waited in the gigantic line to experience some down-home southern cookin' at The Wilks Place. The hour and a half wait flew by as we chatted. Your mom told us about how much you love food and suggested we visit your blog. We're visiting Charleston and think we ought to make a stop at the Sugar Bakeshop before we leave. We really enjoyed getting to know your parents; they’re such nice people. And I can certainly see the resemblance between you and your mother. Take care.
ReplyDelete