Thursday, June 4, 2009

More on asparagus


Tonight I felt like a child again. I had finished an awesome hamburger and was left with a small pile of asparagus stalks. And I just couldn't finish them. Didn't want to finish them. Had to force myself to eat them, even though Matt would have left me off the hook. After all, I am an adult.

I'm a healthy eater. I love vegetables, get sad when I miss my "5-7 servings," and even ate at a vegetarian restaurant last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, I'm struggling to love asparagus. It's been sounding like such a good idea these days - easy to prepare, in-season, affordable, etc. And I haven't even been steaming it .. I've been roasting it in lots of olive oil, with plenty of sea salt and lemon pepper.

But it's not really working. I do think the tips taste fine, but the thick, hard to chew, stringy stalks are another story. Ugh! And when they get cold (as they often do when you leave them till the very end to eat) they're just unbearable.

Matt, on the other hand, loves every last bite of every single stalk, no matter how thick or thin. Wish I had known him when I was a child, and really did have to finish every last bite. I could have used the help!

2 comments:

  1. Well, it looks like you won't be winning Mrs. Asparagus anytime soon! Good thing you didn't grow up in Oceana County, MI as you may have had no choice but to love this stringy green stalk. Or, maybe you should've grown up there - your appreciation may have grown simply by more exposure! All this to say, you think about asparagus a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mother only buys skinny asparagus! Also, sometimes cuts them in pieces and cooks the stalks first for a few minutes, then adds the top parts. Tops with lemon and shaved parm. cheese!

    ReplyDelete