Monday, January 5, 2009

I haven't felt like this since high school

Last night marked the end of the longest vacation I have had since I started my current job in September, 2007. I haven't felt a sense of dread like I did last night since high school, when Christmas vacation was coming to an end. In college, returning to classes after winter break was always a little hard, but there was definitely a spirit of optimism and anticipation with the start of a new semester. And in my previous job, well, I just didn't have to get up as early! And the mornings certainly weren't as dark and frigid - factors that make my a.m. runs less enticing.

Really the only thing that got me out of bed this morning was iron will. I don't know how else I crawled from under the covers and into the cold and wind. I just tried not to think about what I was doing, I guess.

And the work day proved to be much as I expected - long.

However, since my mother always likes it when I end things on a positive note, I'll say this - I am so grateful to have a good job, a warm home to retreat to after a long day at work or a predawn run, and a fantastic and loving husband who, when I told him we were having steam burgers for dinner, said "Oh good!!" Maybe things aren't so tough after all.

2 comments:

  1. Your mother is delighted the posting ended on a positive note, so is Jesus!
    We are having steamburgers tonight!! Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are steam burgers? You must share!

    ReplyDelete