Thursday, February 13, 2014

Carrot soup and a snow day

Today I had no real plan for dinner, since I just didn't know exactly how this snow day would evolve or what kind of leftovers we would have from the nights before. I tend to lose a little steam when it comes to cooking on Thursdays, and when better to wing it than on a snow day?

I also tend to feel a little panicky if I don't have a stash of carrots in the fridge, but the sad truth is that they often get neglected until they are rubbery and pretty much unappetizing. Naturally, today I had almost two pounds of carrots sitting in the crisper, getting less and less crisp by the day. I knew I could do some kind of baked potato main/side, throw in some leftover pork for Matt, but what to do about a vegetable? Roasted carrots just didn't sound right. I did have kale, but I really didn't feel like washing it. But then I remembered soup! (How could I forget soup? I could eat it daily in the winter and be happy) And just as I was about to tackle a slightly complicated carrot soup recipe, I remembered reading this - how to make any pureed vegetable soup in 5 steps. Bingo. Easy. Peasy. Throw in some white beans from last night's dinner and it gets even more satisfying.

Our snow day should really be reclassified as a snow morning. Even though we had around six inches on the ground at daybreak, by early afternoon the sun and warm temps had done quite a bit of work melting away our winter wonderland. Oh well. It was beautiful and fun while it lasted.




2 comments:

  1. Loved following your thought patterns. :) Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! Cooking, writing, and little girls "become" you!
    XXOO, Mom

    ReplyDelete