A dinner diary. Nothing fancy, just jotting down what we ate each night, if for no other reason than to give myself the satisfaction of looking back and seeing that even if it feels like I can get nothing done in a day, I did make dinner.
I tried doing this a year or so ago and it lasted about a month. This Christmas Matt gave me a gift card to create a custom journal and since my current personal journal is gathering dust, I didn't see any reason to make a new one with the wishful thinking it might actually get written in. So I made a new dinner diary and have been faithfully recording our meals since mid-January.
For the past week or so, I've been in a huge cooking rut, though maybe it's more of a grocery shopping rut. I'm thoroughly exhausted by trying to plot out when to go to which store for what, how to plan within our budget and dietary preferences, how to think on the fly when something I didn't know was on sale actually is, or when "x" item of produce or meat isn't available/looks pathetic, etc. etc. etc.
I haven't come up with any great solutions yet, but one thing I know is this - we eat ground turkey once a week. So why am I not buying four pounds of it on the first of the month and freezing three of them? That would at least solve one night's dinner dilemma each week.
On that note, here's February 24th's turkey dinner - turkey sloppy joes. Enjoy! We did.
this is awesome. i tried a dinner diary/meal planning once before too. i'm hoping i'm in for good this time. I just started trying buy in bulk too. i bought a twenty lb bag of rice and a big jug of olive oil. :)
ReplyDelete