Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Now I never have to wonder

In the New York Times this Sunday, there was an article about marital disagreements on whether or not food has gone bad or is safe to eat. Well, the article might just as well have been about me and Matt, because I am that woman and he is that man.

I like rules, so I like expiration dates.  I know, I know, I know that the milk doesn't go bad as soon as the clock hits midnight on whatever date the carton reads it's expired. But, we have to draw the line in the sand somewhere, so why not just follow the rule on the package?

I was thrilled to see that the article included a link to a site that has all the answers to any food safety questions you could ever have.

Is the site's advice a bit extreme and overly cautious?  Yes, so I'll try to use common sense, too.  But I'm extremely happy that now I have a go-to resource whenever I'm wondering whether I should pitch or dig into whatever item of food is in question.

PS:  Matt, you would be proud, though, that I have been flirting with danger on a carton of half and half that said "Sell by 3/5/11."  It's now March 9 and I might even just put it in my coffee tomorrow, too.

4 comments:

  1. Living on the edge, are we???
    Since I saw you at the gym this morning I would assume that either:
    a. you didn't use the half and half
    or
    b. you did and survived

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I'm with you on this one. If you're going to enjoy your food and drink, it's worth a few extra bucks to have peace of mind that you wont get sick from it. That doesn't mean you should worry about things - I keep things longer than most folks and I have no problem eating something that fell on the floor... But if you have question, pour it down the drain and open a fresh container.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The NYT article cracked me up! Phil is a neat freak so he loves a "clean fridge" (i.e. an empty fridge!), but he also complains when there is "nothing to eat". I get mad when he refuses to consume every last ounce of something I made because he has lost interest. His attitude is I'll eat it tomorrow, tomorrow. Sometimes tomorrow is a frightening amount of days away from the original cook date! Then I"M the one tossing things out and you can guess who gets huffy about it!!! I liked the bit about the writer's wife quarantining his "to-eat" items in their own area of the fridge. I totally do that!

    ReplyDelete