Sunday, February 13, 2011

What we've been doing and eating

Even as I begin to type, I am scratching my head thinking "What have we been doing?" because it feels like we've been very busy, but I'm not sure what to attribute that all to.  

Perhaps recovering from illness and nursing others back to health takes a fair amount of time and energy - we've spent a lot of time doing that, recently.  Last week, both Matt and I fell ill simultaneously. Now, whenever I think I'm having a hard day, I'll remind myself of how dreadful that day was and feel a lot better.

Fortunately we rebounded in about 24 hours ... now Emery is recovering from a cold that has quarantined us from the YMCA :(.  Her spirits are still wonderful, though, and she often finds refuge underneath the coffee table these days.


Eating?  Yes, we've been doing some of that.  Of note has been:

Baked tilapia with roasted broccoli and grape tomatoes - no link here, but so simple and for some reason, the broccoli tasted so divine. Almost as good as chocolate. 

Just mix mayonaise and mustard and brush on tilapia, top with breadcrumbs and grated parmesan, bake at 375 for about 15/20 minutes. Toss broccoli and grape tomatoes with minced garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil and roast at 425 for 10-13 minutes, or until broccoli starts to brown.

Salsa Couscous Chicken - this won a Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1998, and if you try it you'll know why. I followed a variation of this recipe found in a Junior League cookbook, which calls for an extra cup of salsa and double the amount of almonds, garlic, currants, honey, cumin and cinnamon - all variations that make it doubly delicious.

Whole wheat buttermilk biscuits - again, no link, but if you've never made biscuits before (and I don't think I had), they aren't so difficult and make the whole house smell, well, like biscuits.  And that's a pretty good smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment