Thursday, August 12, 2010

My basil blight

I am still mourning the loss of my herbs. Especially because tomatoes are so irresistible right now and nearly ever summertime recipe I run across calls for at least a 1/2 cup of basil. And, to make things worse, I haven't gotten around to actually dumping out my herbs and my basil and mint are doing better than they ever have, without any attention from me. Probably a result of the "fertilizer."

It kills me to go to the grocery store and pay upwards of $3 or $4 dollars for basil that just wilts as soon as you get home.

So yesterday, Emery and I went to the farmer's market to see if we could remedy the situation. The heat was so unbearable and put poor little Emery, glued to my hot, sticky body in the Ergo carrier, right to sleep. I periodically poured cold water from a dixie cup on Emery's head, just to make sure she stayed alive. She just kept snoozing and barely flinched, so I'm thinking she didn't mind being watered like a plant.

The heat was probably getting to my head because I just beelined for the first table I saw selling basil and got a bag for $2.

Not bad. But then, a little later, I saw a woman heading for her car with a glorious bouquet of basil and immediately began regretting my hasty purchase. So I bit another $2 bullet and bought some of that luscious basil, too.


Well, now the tragedy is that both bunches are already beginning to wilt and I'm furiously making pesto and hoping to salvage some leaves for caprese with these heirloom tomatoes.


And, just for fun, here's a shot of a gigantic sweet potato I got the other day. I think they know a thing or two about growing potatoes in Alabama!




No comments:

Post a Comment