Monday, May 17, 2010

Miscellaneous




I've been putting off blogging recently because I'm just not sure what to blog about ... I feel so scattered these days. For example, twice now in the last week or so I've had a pot on the stove and forgotten all about it, only to return later and find all the water evaporated! Perhaps this is what having a baby will do to you?

Here's some of what's been going on:

  • Sleeping (Emery that is, not really me) - of all the baby books I've read, my favorite has been "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child," by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. The best thing I've taken away so far is that up till about four months old, infants can't tolerate being awake more than two hours at a time. This little fact has taken all the guesswork out of understanding Emery's meltdowns! It also means I have to become a sleep nazi, which isn't always fun ... however, having a well rested, contented child is a ton of fun, so sleep nazi I will be! Dr. Weissbluth also says that sleep begets sleep - this is very reassuring, especially on days when Emery seems to barely be awake and I start to get nervous about what that means for the night ahead.
  • Talking- I've heard that it's good to talk to your baby a lot, so I'm trying to do that, but I must confess, it's not always easy. Right now, even though she's getting more interactive, it's usually like talking to a wall. Sometimes I feel a little ridiculous giving her a play-by-play of what I'm up to, what we're going to do next, etc. when I often don't even get a coo in response! Her stuffed singing giraffe gets more of a response out of her than her own mother! But I will not give up. I will not be bested by a stuffed animal.
  • One errand a day - In my endeavor to respect Emery's need to sleep, I try to limit us to one errand/outing a day. This requires a lot of willpower since we're in a new town and there's a lot I'd like to see and do, and a lot I need to buy and do, too. Now I realize how much I took for granted the ability to run out and do whatever I wanted pre-motherhood, because no matter how hard I try, it always seems like we end up at Walmart or the grocery store! In all honesty, though, I'm thrilled that I'm able to go to both of these places, that Emery is so easy to take out, and that one of these days I'll be able to squeeze in a trip to the dry cleaners, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment