Sunday, July 19, 2009

Why girls bake cookies


I think all girls know that when they bake cookies, or any kind of dessert for that matter, for a significant other, they're really just baking them for themselves.

I noticed a recipe for nutty oatmeal cookies today and realized I had all the ingredients. Plus, we bought a LOT of local oats yesterday, and I was excited to have a purpose for them other than breakfast.

So I decided to make cookies for Matt. He deserves a little treat in his lunch every now and then, right? Especially since I usually smuggle away the little chocolate treats I get at Trader Joe's in a place where he couldn't find them unless he was really looking.

The recipe called for a cup of dried fruit, and I realized this was a perfect opportunity to use up some dried cranberries I'd bought awhile ago and hadn't used very much since Matt isn't crazy about cranberries.

Why I thought he would like them in cookies, I don't know. Maybe I thought the cookie would compensate for the cranberries and he wouldn't notice them very much.

Not the case. Looks like I'll have my share of lunchtime treats for a long time.

In truth, though, I really think I was making them just as much for Matt as I was for myself. I think it might have been a little subconscious guilt over squirreling away chocolate treats,which now maybe I'll have to share since he's not interested in my cookies. Darn.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe your dad will like them, but I'll take the chocolate treats instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny b/c Adam & I were recently 'fighting' about this same topic & he said when I make cookies I always make oatmeal cookies (which he hates) & I don't make choc. chip cookies (which he loves).. but that is b/c I don't like choc. chip cookies. Buuut, that begs the question that if I was REALLY making them for Adam, why not bake the choc. chip ones? And thus we've all reached the same conclusion - we women do indeed bake for ourselves :-)

    ReplyDelete