Sunday, July 12, 2009

Beans and freezer bags

I know this is a strange thing to say about beans in a ziploc bag, but don't you think they look pretty? I cooked up a big pot of beans this weekend, a 17 bean variety bag from Trader Joe's. Every kind of bean you can imagine came in this bag! I put the leftovers in this ziploc bag and I think all the different colors and sizes of the beans are so pretty to look at ... a cross between a mosaic and a spread of marbles.

I'm also a big fan of the bag they are in. My mom gave me this great little gadget that sucks all of the air out of special ziploc bags so that your frozen goods keep longer and don't develop freezer burn. For someone who likes to freeze as much as I do (just ask anyone I've ever lived with and they can all tell tales of frozen bananas tumbling out of an overstocked freezer ... but in my defense, a full freezer runs more efficiently and saves energy, not to mention food!), this gadget is a life saver.

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the gadget. Did you know they can be opened and resealed over and over again!
    XXO,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it to Helen & Liz to find the prettiest, most economical, and practical addition for a kitchen! I likie :-) Now I am reminded I have to make not only the shrimp dish, but taco soup again too!

    ReplyDelete