Friday, May 1, 2009

Asparagus!


Have any of you ever seen the moving Waiting for Guffman? For those of you who haven't, it's a mock documentary (or mockumentary). It chronicles a community theater in Blaine, Missouri that is putting on a musical called Red, White and Blaine. If you enjoy parody, it's worth watching.

If you enjoy unintentional parody as well as asparagus, then Asparagus! Stalking the American Life is a documentary you won't want to miss. Matt taped the movie and we just watched about 20 minutes of it. We couldn't believe how similar it was to Waiting for Guffman, except for one important detail - it's for real.

There really is a Mrs. Asparagus. There is an asparagus song and everyone knows it. The ladies in the town are seriously excited about asparagus dishware, sweatshirts and other spear-headed paraphernalia.

The documentary takes place in Oceana County, MI, the asparagus capital of the world. However, this could all change very soon due to the U.S. war on drugs, free trade and a fast food nation.

I'm not a huge fan of asparagus, but I think by the time I finish this movie, I'll be just a little more passionate about the green spears that our state depends on.

For more information, check out the documentary's Web site http://www.asparagusthemovie.com/

And as they say in Oceana County, "Our tips are tops," so buy Michigan asparagus!

No comments:

Post a Comment