Sunday, March 8, 2009

Being deliberate

One of the things about Matt that I envy is how he is so deliberate. There is very little he does without reason, and I'm not just talking about the big things in life, like where to work and live, who to be friends with, how to spend your money, etc.


I'm talking about things like:


1. Parking at the airport. When we leave our car in airport parking for several days in the winter, he ensures that the windshield is facing the sun, so that at least some of the snow that buries our car will melt. In the summer, he parks in the opposite direction, so that we will not enter an inferno upon our return.


2. Parking in general. Matt always back into parking spaces. Though tedious at times, it allows for a speedier and safer departure. I am proud to say that this has rubbed off on me a little, as I almost always back into our driveway and garage.


3. Ordering food at a restaurant. He always hits the restaurant's sweet spot. If we're having lunch at a deli, he gets a rueben or an Italian sub, whereas I'll wander into ordering some pile of roasted vegetables on foccacia or a wrap of hummus and sprouts ... of course there's nothing wrong with these sandwiches, but at a deli, does it really make sense to avoid meat?


4. Where you keep your sunglasses. Matt's sunglasses are always either on his face, or in their case in the console of the car. Mine are either on my face, on my head, on the kitchen table, on the bed, in my purse, on the kitchen counter, sometimes in the console of the car, and never in a case.


5. Teeth brushing. Matt almost always brushes his teeth right after dinner. This way, when he gets tired and wants to go to bed, all he has to do is go upstairs! I delay this process, and it becomes all the more arduous when I'm half-asleep, but flossing and brushing, and he's already under the covers, sawing z's.


6. Washing fruit. When Matt takes an apple to work, he washes it beforehand, doubling his chances of actually eating it. When I take an apple to work, the thought of getting up from my desk, going to the kitchen, washing and drying it is often enough to make me reach for the pretzels instead.

3 comments:

  1. I am laughing!!! This blog entry reminds me of Andy Rooney at the end of 60 minutes. However it is Liz writing her best, and Matt living his best!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I'll have to give the tooth brushing thing a try. I hate when Greg is already up to bed and I still have to finish my whole night routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm late on the commenting, but had to mention I loved this blog. It gives me more insight into Matt... I kinda already knew (or could've guessed) those characteristics of yours :-) You are fortunate to have your 'other half' be such a stellar and intentional guy!

    ReplyDelete