Sunday, May 4, 2014

They surprised me

My expectations for last week were pretty low, since I figured weaning all of us from grandparental attention and help would be pretty tough. Turns out I should have had more confidence in all of us. Let's start with Jamison, otherwise known as the boy who sleep-trained himself at 6 1/2 weeks.


Here I was, gearing myself up for some pretty miserable cry-it-out sessions at 8 weeks, and the child goes ahead and shows me that he's just fine going to sleep by himself, morning, noon or night. Part of me is wondering if I did something wrong with Emery and Anna Kimball that they had to scream-it-out on more than one occasion, and part of me wonders if he's just amazing. And part of me doesn't care, because hey, I just got a lot of time back in my day now that he doesn't need my arms to cradle him to dreamland.

And then there's Emery and Anna Kimball, who spent quite a bit more time at home than usual this week. Didn't seem to bother Emery a bit. She even asked to stay home quite a few times. She and Anna Kimball played together better than ever, rarely needed timeouts and didn't drive me to the pantry for some chocolate relief any more than they normally do.


This isn't to say there weren't challenges or that I think it will be a cakewalk from here on out. It's just to say that sometimes having low expectations isn't such a bad thing, since being pleasantly surprised is always a good thing!



No comments:

Post a Comment