Saturday, September 4, 2010

"You can't get enough of this place, can you?"

"No!" I said, almost apologetically, but on the other hand, why was I apologizing for patronizing this gentleman's produce market nearly every other day? I went on to say that there is a grocery store problem in Chattanooga, with no place you can go to get everything on your list at a decent price, and be able to walk away with confidence that your produce isn't going to wilt or spoil in a New York minute. He heartily agreed.

A friend here clued me into this market, P&P Produce, which has become my life vest in meal planning. It's close to home, affordable, carries lots of local produce and ... need I say more?

I was wondering when someone there was going to comment on how often I make an appearance. Emery and I, we're sort of hard to miss in a market that's 1/8 of the size of your average grocery store and doesn't even have full sized shopping carts. We've learned how not to topple over cups of peaches, how to angle our cart in by the cash register to keep it from rolling away so I can scurry around front and snag a $2 canteloupe and how to smile apologetically at other patrons who can barely squeeze past us to grab a carton of tomatoes.

The cashiers, they love Emery, so I hope that makes up for the hassle of managing all my reusable grocery bags that spill out of the miniature shopping cart (which, by the way, is also known as a "buggy" down south - who knew?) as I try to pass off bananas for weighing, cherry tomatoes for dumping out of their reusable carton and into a new bag, etc.

So no, I can't get enough of this place. Thank you Mr. & Mr. (or Ms. or Mrs. I suppose), whoever you are. I'll be back on Monday!

1 comment:

  1. The post does indeed exist!!!!!!!!!!
    So, do they still let you use reusable bags? Because I was scared to try with the "no bags allowed in the store" sign on the door.


    A Foreign Land

    ReplyDelete