Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Penny pinching evening


We've had a bit of a rough week or so. Matt is now what he jokingly calls a "statistic" of the recession and is no longer working for General Motors. Fortunately, we're doing pretty well and are by no means in the breadline ... however, I'm not opposed to using my "free bread" coupons at the local gourmet grocery store and we're certainly watching what we spend a little more carefully.

So tonight I served up what's probably going to become a regular in our quick-and-easy, budget meal lineup - fritatta. We definitely got our full serving of vegetables - half a bunch of kale each, along with red pepper, onion and sweet potato, a good amount of protein, and it only took me about 15-20 minutes start to finish.

After dinner I said "I wish I could have an ice cream cone!" Matt acknowledged that I've been doing such a good job with all of this unexpected change, and said he'd get me one, and that it could be a good way to use up our change.

I thought he meant our quarters. But no, he meant our pennies in the change dish. He asked me to count them out and I looked at them, fumed a little, started counting a few, and then said something to the effect of "ABSOLUTELY NOT!"

I'm really glad I stood my ground, because Matt relented pretty quickly, counted the pennies and took me to get my cone. Even better, he didn't make me hand the man behind the counter all the pennies. I can't imagine what the cashier was thinking, and I couldn't see his face because I was trying to hide behind Matt the whole time.

So it was a penny pinching evening indeed ... and pretty fun, too!


3 comments:

  1. I feel like this story may become one that you tell future generations... "I remember when we had to COUNT our PENNIES just to go get a cone at the local store..." Of course the walk to the store must be uphill both ways :-) Keep having fun together you guys, this season too shall pass! -- And share that fritatta recipe please, looks good & healthy (+ most importantly, quick to make!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Just realized that REALLY is your own picture of the meal........looks YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love frittata. One of my budget conscious efforts, is breakfast for dinner, pancakes, waffles or eggs, each week. I, too would love the recipe, I know kale is good for us.

    ReplyDelete