
The other day, as we were cleaning the house and preparing for guests, Matt mentioned that my mail/collect-all basket that lives in our dining room bookshelf, was full, in effect suggesting that it needed to be sorted and emptied.
To which I retorted, "When? When, Matt, would I have had time to take care of that?"
I feel like I've been saying this a lot recently. "When?"
My mother will say, "Have you put pictures on your new bulletin board" or "Have you blogged today?"
When? WHEN?
I don't mean to be one of those people who moans and groans about being so busy, as if that makes me more important. I really don't want to be that way! But I do have to say that lately, I just haven't been able to keep up with tedious tasks like sorting the mail and folding my laundry. Getting new lenses for my glasses or switching my debit card pin number to one I can actually remember? Not happening.
And what's frustrating to me is that I feel like I'm one of those people who milks all she can out of nearly every waking minute. In fact, I had a friend in college who always wondered how I could get ready so fast in the morning. I told her that the key was to always be in motion. Never stand and pause, debating on whether or not to make your bed or get dressed first. Just do whatever comes to your mind right away, and, when possible, do two things at once.
This is why I rarely brush my teeth standing still. I can easily fill a water glass for my bedstand or open the blinds with toothbrush in hand. Or in mouth, I should say.
So why do I feel so behind? Must I really begin sorting the mail at the bathroom sink?
This has been my nemesis for decades now.....if I ever get a grip on "when," I'll let you know!
ReplyDeleteThough I can totally relate to this blog, I have to laugh at the image of Liz in perpetual motion... you really do that! I have seen firsthand the double tasking while toothbrushing, and it is classic. If it makes you feel any better, you probably are getting more things done than most of us are even though you aren't getting everything on your list done! Keep Motoring Forth, Liz!
ReplyDeleteOh, and by the way, don't talk to Matt like that ;-)
ReplyDeleteI hear ya!
ReplyDelete