Thursday, October 15, 2015

"The white man" and other things that are making us laugh

A few weeks ago, soon after Matt and the girls had been watching quite a bit of the coverage of the Pope's visit to the U.S., Anna Kimball asked, "Mommy, that house that we saw at the running race (a big brick art museum downtown), is that where the white man lives?"

I just love the connections kids make at this age. Like, here's the most important looking man I have ever seen and then there's the biggest house I have ever seen so naturally the two must go together.


Jamison puts on a great show for me and the church nursery workers every week. Whenever I drop  him off, instead of crying, he just freezes with one knee slightly bent and stares at the ground. He won't make eye contact with anyone. Not even me.



Now what could be going through his head? Maybe "if I act like I'm not in this room I won't really have to be here?" Would that we could really know ... In any case, this peaceful opposition to being left in the nursery is always good for a few chuckles.

I'm starting to get concerned that since Emery is 5 1/2 she isn't going to say as many funny things anymore. None really come to mind right now. But, she still scrunches up her nose when she's explaining something important and that's kind of funny. And the relative maturity that comes from 5 1/2 years on this planet is certainly welcome on days dominated by irrational toddler/preschooler behavior.



No comments:

Post a Comment