
I'm really looking forward to holding our baby. I know this goes without saying, but I feel that I need to say it because it's accompanied by a confession - I don't always look forward to holding other people's babies.
It's not that I don't want to! I love newborns and infants. To all my friends who have had children, know that I think yours are adorable and are just begging to be held, rocked and cooed over.
It's just that I don't usually feel up to the challenge. For me, when I'm with a new mom and she's holding her peaceful, content baby and then asks me if I want to hold her, the first thought that usually runs through my mind is "Why ruin a good thing?!" Here you have this baby finally quieted down and satisfied in your arms, as only a mother can do, and you want to pass her off to me, who's probably only logged 53 minutes of baby holding time in her life, and risk getting her all riled up and into an inconsolable state?
To me, this does not seem like a good idea. I really don't want to be that person who made the baby cry. Of course no one will blame it on you, but come on - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the baby was perfectly fine in mom's arms and most likely would have remained that way if she just stayed put.
Yet, often I will still say "Yes!" with a big smile and hold out my arms, while I'm really sitting there thinking "What position am I going to hold her in" or "Wow, her head seems wobbly but I feel like she's old enough to support her head - what should I do," or "Hmm, 'mom' seems to be looking at me funny - does she not like the way I'm holding her baby, but is too polite to say anything???"
Now that I'm typing this confession, I'm realizing that it might indicate I won't be one of those moms who lets other people hold her baby. And let me just assure you - you are more than welcome to hold my baby. You also have complete freedom to say "No thank you!" Believe me - I will understand.
Stitches. Your sense of humor & wit are priceless in dealing with the new realm of newborn. I miss you dearly. Shannon and I have time allocated to chat tomorrow night. I'm jealous she was able to be with you recently. Your mom brought us dinner deluxe. She loves you much. We do too. PRAYING, Tai
ReplyDeleteWell, I read this and laughed because at times I feel the same way but know that I will probably steal your baby content or not. ; )
ReplyDeleteThis is hilarious!!! I love it! this is my first visit to your blog-- what a joy to read and get to know you a little better. Can't wait to be your neighbor!
ReplyDeleteMonique